So the big day was fast approaching and I obviously wanted to throw him a bday party with all his buddies! Birthday parties for one year olds are definitely more for the parents than the kids, but you can't help but do it. It 100% causes more stress than a one year old's birthday party should cause, but there I was, caught up in it all. Seems like these days you have to go all out too! Like people making their kids elaborate cakes and decorations and themes and what-not! That is not really the kind of person I am, but I did, in an attempt to be crafty and creative, go to way too much trouble to make sports themed cupcakes. The whole party was sports themed…if you could really call it a theme…it was pretty minor...we used duct tape a little more than I think you should at a kids birthday party, but I'm not a perfectionist so it got the job done.
Unfortunately Greyson's two male buddies were unable to make it, so like usual he was surrounded by the ladies. Blakely, Kinnley, and Cali all made it to the event, and they seriously brought their A-game! The 'Baby Olympics' consisted of four events: Cheerio eating contest, 2.5 yard dash (aka crawling race), shot-put, and 'pin the medal on the athlete' (assisted by willing parents).
Let me start out by saying, I grossly underestimated Blakely's ability to pound back Cheerios. She may have been the feather-weight of the group, but she was the only baby who could pay enough attention to their own snack to actually finish it. She won by a landslide! So Blakely snags the first medal (and there were literally medals - we don't joke around about competitions in this house).
The next event was the crawling contest. (Duct tape start and finish line…). First I will point out that there were really only two serious competitors in this race, seeing as how neither Kinnley nor Blakely were crawling yet. But there's a first time for everything, right? So fair game!!! The race started out a little shaky with most kids being completely confused why everyone was crowding around them and yelling, (I think Greyson even shed a few tears) but it picked up once Cali figured out what was going on and started to bee-line it for her mom who was luring her with a cell phone (a baby favorite). Unfortunately Cali could have had the race completed in about 5 seconds but she decided to pull-up short about 2 inches from the finish line for a little break. This is where Greyson made his move. He sped as fast as his little legs could carry him all the way to the duct tape, where he too, got distracted just before the line. In somewhat of an anti-climactic finish Cali put one hand over the finish line and it was all over. She was crowned the champion.
Shot-put. We figured Greyson had this one in the bag. He's got a good arm on him and we often refer to him as QB1 (those of you who have watched Friday Night Lights will understand). I don't know what happened to our little QB1. Maybe it was all the pressure, maybe it was something he ate, it is still a bit of a mystery to us, but he tanked. Looked like he forgot how to throw a ball, if you could even call it throwing. After three rounds Cali took home her second medal of the night. (In the following pictures, you will notice we used duct tape again to mark where the balls landed).
We knew Greyson only had one more shot at a medal. He and Kinnley were the only ones empty-handed at this point. He had to put it all on the line in 'pin the medal on the athlete'. Once again he came up short. He got beat by all the girls. Kinnley walked away with this one, and all three girls had metals. We told Greyson he won and gave him a medal anyways. It hangs proudly in his room.
Now that the olympic torch had been put out we decided it was time to let Greyson go to town on a cupcake. He seemed a bit tentative at first, and it took him a good 15 minutes to get through it, but I think he enjoyed it. A picture is worth a thousand words. See Below.
Krista
| The competitors and their numbered bibs. I hate our camera by the way. Every photo is blurry and it is currently away being fixed for the second time... |
The race!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment